Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Colorblind is the New Racism: Raising Awareness about Privilege Using Color Insight

First, I apologize that I am posting this blog rather early, however, I will not have extensive access to a computer or internet as I am leaving for California on Thursday and will not be back until Wednesday evening. When beginning Colorblindness is the New Racism by Margalynne J. Armstrong and Stephanie M. Wildman, I felt almost guilty that I fell under the category they first were mentioning in the beginning, because as I have said already in class in regards to the subjects of our previous readings, I never really think about or see race, and that I do not think badly about those of other races.  However, I do acknowledge that racism is a problem, yet I certainly do not agree with certain points that the authors bring up as unequal.  For instance, Armstrong and Wildman bring up that public education in the United States is one example of the process of attempts to attack privilege that serve to reinscribe it.  They argue that white students are generally afforded the best educational opportunities in the United States, while these benefits elude many students of color (64).  I was confused with this claim, because unless I took it wrong and they are talking of something else, I was under the impression that families decided where their children go to school and provided educational opportunities, and if income or finances are an issue, there are services for that (like I said, I feel like I might have taken this out of context or in the wrong way, but it was just my thought).
While I agree that colorblindness is a thing, because I feel completely colorblind at times, I am not quite sure if I can see why colorblindness as educators in the classroom is necessarily a bad thing.  If there are no issues in the classroom, amongst educators, or amongst children, with race, why should it be brought up? I feel that is almost like the saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it".  By bringing up a nonexistent issue, I feel it could result in creating the issue and making it therefore present.
Armstong and Wildman also ague some similar points to Allan Johnson.  They discussed a section on developing color insight, which they said "color insight begins by considering the different contexts that participants in a discussion of race bring to the table. Individual concepts of race may differ and cause concern that one's views may offend others. This fear leads to a tendency to avoid discussing race altogether.  Color insight requires a commitment to not sweep race under the rug, but rather to name its presence and to examine its attributes from multiple perspectives, including the operation of privilege" (69).  This quote relates to when Johnson described putting yourself in categories on the "diversity wheel" (pictured above).  Furthermore, Armstrong and Wildman then take this one step further and present a "power line" chart for identifying privilege, which reminded me of the SCWAAMP we did in class.
This reading was very interesting, although there were times I found myself re-reading a lot of lines to understand or regain focus.  It lost my attention a few times, however, I did notice after researching the authors a little bit that they have both written various other articles, such as this on race and wealth disparity.


5 comments:

  1. Amanda, I feel I can add something to your question about school choice and student opportunity. In theory, our students and families have choices: there are public schools, public charters, private schools, and other non-traditional educational routes. In many urban areas, there is even more than one public school option for students. However, not all schools are equal, and the makeup of the student population, test scores, and access to resources and funding proves that. One specific example that comes to mind is that at the public school that I work at, many of the white, middle class teachers who work there, choose to send their children to private schools because they know that there, their children will have better access to resources and will be better prepared for college. Almost all of our students are children of color from low-income families. Many parents do not have the option to send their child to a private school. This perpetuates the divide between our city's white youth and their peers of color. The white, middle- or upperclass children end up performing better in school than their peers of color as a result of their school placements. In theory, everyone has choice, but in reality, poverty, language barriers, and lack of accessible public information often limit students of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! Yes, I know they can choose between such schools, but what you mention in the last sentence about poverty and other issues is unfortunately what I was referring to. It's sad but true for many families.

      Delete
  2. Interesting viewpoint, Amanda. I don't often see or think of race so I definitely understand where you're coming from. (I think we talked about this during the SCWAAMP exercise in class). You mentioned, "If there are no issues in the classroom, amongst educators, or amongst children, with race, why should it be brought up? I feel that is almost like the saying 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'." This is also something I thought about while reading the article too. I may have missed the point completely (or I am the point being made) but I just don't think race needs to be brought up in classrooms where it's not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry that you won't get to hear the conversation in class this week -- but please remind us to give you a summary when you return. Hope you had (are having) a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the statement that says "If it's not Broke Don't Fix it", however I think from all of my experience in life and seeing what is happening throughout the world that it clearly is "Broke" unfortunately. The hard part is trying to find how to fix It. I also tried to live my life trying not to notice what race or gender etc.., each of my students were, which I now know to have just been accepting what the "Society Powers" wanted in order to maintain the "Status Quo".

    ReplyDelete